Welcome to our shopping guide devoted to Filter Coffee Makers. There are 3 types of Filter Coffee Makers. There are many criteria to know to choose the right model. We explain on this page the criteria to take into account and our recommendations for a good Filter Coffee Makers.
What are the 3 types of Filter Coffee Makers?
The filter coffee maker is the essential model of coffee maker, to have at home. Useful for family meals, or professional meetings, the filter coffee maker offers many advantages : large coffee capacity in a few minutes, ecological and economical.
There are 3 types of filter coffee makers :
- The classic coffee maker : this is the most economical model, which works with ground coffee and an external filter. This type of coffee maker is the most common. The different devices have a reservoir of about 1 liter for a capacity of about 10 cups served. Today, classic filter coffee makers can include various innovative features such as temperature control, anti-drip system, automatic safety shut-off or even keeping warm and automatic descaling.
- The filter coffee maker with grinder : this type of coffee machine is ideal for people who like the flavors of coffee beans. More expensive to buy, it offers a better quality coffee with the presence of all the aromas of coffee. For the purchase of this model, you have to look at the capacity of the tank for the coffee beans. We recommend a tank that can hold 250 grams of minimum gains. The coffee maker with grinder has a set of features, similar to the classic coffee machine.
- The hybrid filter coffee maker : this device is a combination of the classic coffee maker and the capsule coffee maker. This 2 in 1 allows as much, to prepare an espresso coffee thanks to the percolator ( with ground coffee or in pod ) as 1 liter of coffee directly with the jug. Accessible at a higher price than conventional models, it is a good alternative to combine high capacity and practicality. However, this model takes up a little more space.
Choosing the right water tank for your filter coffee maker?
The capacity of the water tank of the coffee machine with filter determines the number of cups to be served. On capsule coffee makers, the water tank is small ( less than 1 liter ). For filter devices, the recommended tank must contain at least 1 liter.
A classic coffee cup has a capacity of 100ml. For a tank of 1 liter of water, you can serve up to 10 coffees in classic cups. For a breakfast cup, the capacity varies from 200ml to 500ml. With a 1 liter tank, you can serve between 2 to 5 coffees.
A filter coffee maker with a 1 liter to 1.5 liter reservoir is suitable for everyday use.
What are the features on a filter coffee maker?
Today, filter coffee maker models are marketed with different features and options. It is its additional functions that affect the purchase price of your coffee machine. Below, we present some features equipping coffee maker models:
- The temperature maintenance : some filter coffee machines are equipped with a thermal carafe that keeps the temperature of hot coffee, without deteriorating the taste.
- The automatic shutdown : This security feature allows the coffee s’ turn off after a certain time, to avoid burning the coffee, or let the camera light all day.
- The programmable system : thanks to a screen, it is possible to program the start of the coffee for a specific time. This option is ideal for the morning. Just schedule the evening, and the next morning the coffee will be ready at the set time.
- The descaling indicator : sensors present in the water system warn as soon as lime is detected. They inform you of the need for cleaning. This function extends the life of the appliance and preserves the aromas of the coffee.
- The anti-drip system : this feature allows you to serve coffee, even if the coffee maker is on. Coffee drops do not fall on the hotplate.
- The intensity adjustment : this option present on expensive models allows you to configure the coffee dosage, according to individual preferences.
The comfort criteria, not to be forgotten
When buying a good filter coffee maker, there are a few criteria that should not be overlooked. They can improve comfort, maintenance and ease of use. Find below the important elements for the purchase of a filter coffee maker:
- The maintenance and cleaning : some filter holders are removable and can be washed in the dishwasher. As for the jug, it is important to check that you can easily clean it.
- The grip : before buying a filter coffee machine, check that it is easy to turn, and to program. Some electronic or connected models will not be easy to use for everyone.
- The power : with appliances around 1000W, the water will heat up quickly and will flow over the ground coffee in a minimum of time. It is more comfortable to have a good power to get a coffee in a few minutes.
We hope this buying guide will help you choose the right filter coffee maker. We recommend that you take a look at our page on the best filter coffee makers.
Coffee and tea maker advice and news
If you want to know more about coffee and tea makers , or the specific problems associated with this type of small appliance, you will find our various tips and news on this subject below :
- How to choose a coffee maker?
- How to choose a coffee machine?
- How to Choose The Right Teapot?
- How To Choose The Right Electric Teapot?
- How to Choose a Filter Coffee Makers?
- How to Make Nitro Cold Brew Coffee at home?
- The 10 Best French Press Coffee Maker
- 10 Best Cheapest Espresso Machine Reviews
- Top 10 Best Coffee Maker under $100 Reviews
- 10 Best Commercial Espresso Machine
- 10 Best Dual Coffee Maker Reviews
- 10 Best Espresso Machine under 200 Reviews
- 10 Best Iced Coffee Maker Reviews
- 10 Best Keurig Coffee Reviews
- 10 Best Manual Espresso Machine Reviews
- 10 Best Nespresso Machine Reviews
- 10 Best Nespresso Vertuo Pod Reviews
- 10 Best Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker Reviews